Diploma of Counselling
The Diploma of Counselling (BSB51015) applies the role of counsellors, who work with clients on personal and psychological issues using established counselling modalities. They use communication, micro-counselling and interviewing skills and draw on varied counselling therapies to assist clients.
At this level, the counsellor will be working in defined and supported counselling roles in established agencies rather than in independent practice.
There are no formal entry requirements into this qualificaiton, however you must meet the language, literacy and numeracy requirements to study at the Diploma level and demonstrate relevant work experience.
You can work as a Support Worker, Counsellor, Student Counsellor, Relationship Counsellor or even a Community Services Case Manager
You can study online or go through a a formal recognition process (RPL).
Costs is dependent on prior experience, study and citizenship status.
Your course can commence as soon as you enrol.
DOWNLOAD A COURSE GUIDE
SUPPORT AND DELIVERY
You will have access to an industry leading LMS to study from, which is compatible with any device and can be accessed 24/7
Access our online community hub to ask like minded people those burning questions, or even to form a study group.
You have access to our industry teachers, who can guide and nurture your throughout your course
We tailor your support needs and connect you with the right people as and when needed
Units of Competency
To obtain this nationally recognised qualification, you will be required to obtain competency in a total of 17 units. These are made up of:
- 13 core units and,
- 4 elective units
The units we offer are:
- CHCCCS019 – Recognise and respond to crisis situations
- CHCCSL001 – Establish and confirm the counselling relationship
- CHCCSL002 – Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills
- CHCCSL003 – Facilitate the counselling relationship and process
- CHCCSL004 – Research and apply personality and development theories
- CHCCSL005 – Apply learning theories in counselling
- CHCLEG001 – Work legally and ethically
- CHCPRP003 – Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- CHCCCS014 – Provide brief interventions
- CHCCSL006 – Select and use counselling therapies
- CHCCSL007 – Support counselling clients in decision-making processes
- CHCCSM005 – Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management
- CHCDIV001 – Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 – Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCCCS018 – Provide suicide bereavement support
- CHCCCS017 – Provide loss and grief support
- CHCMHS001 – Work with people with mental health issues
If you would liek to study or RPL any other unit that is not listed, just let one of our staff members know.
The course duration is dpendant on study stream, prior knowledge, previous education and any support mechanisms that need to be put in place.
Prior to enrolling, a member of the ISG team will discuss the length of the course and tailor a learning plan to your needs.
This course is competitively priced. It will allow you to study a nationally recognised qualification at an affordable level. At ISG, we want to ensure that all students are given the opportunity to study fairly no matter what your financial situation is.
Paying in Full
As part of the standards, we are obliged to protect student fees. This means that we will never collect payment of more than $1,500 in advance and will never allow your advance payment balance to rise above $1,500. That is why we do not take payment upfront and instead take all fees over a set schedule, dependant on student circumstances and agreed payment deadlines.
We offer flexible payment options to allow you to study, ensure the course is right for you and for you not to feel the pressure of paying a large upfront cost.
Not all courses are for everyone. That is why, prior to enrolling, you will be asked to go through a Pre-Training review. This will allow us to ensure you are entering the right course, based on your goals and career aspirations. The pre-training review will set a benchmark as to where you are up to in your educational and industry journey as well as ensuring you are at the right ASCF levels (Click here for more) and ensure you are best equipped to complete the course.
We will provide everything that you need to be sucessful in your course. This may include:
- Prescribed textbook
- Student email address and access to Microsoft Office
- Access to our online LMS
- 1-on-1 support from a trainer and assessor
- Access to online forums and instant messaging
and much more.